Long- and short-term savings with home automation
There are many reasons for designing a smart home: increased efficiency, convenience, comfort, security, even the sheer enjoyment of using the latest technology in a home of the future. But one major benefit is often under-appreciated: a smart home saves you money. Home automation saves you money without sacrificing comfort or convenience. In fact, the very efficiencies that keep you and your family more comfortable also lower your utility bills. Here are just a few ways a smart home saves you money.
- One button control – Say you’re leaving for work for the day. Push one button on your smartphone or tablet and the lights go off, the thermostat automatically adjusts, and ceiling fans and shades come on or off during the day to keep things at a consistent temperature without overloading the AC or heat. You can also do the same when you go to bed at night.
- Monitor and track your energy use – Home automation allows you to chart exactly how much energy you’re using. You can then use this information to refine your automatic settings, or locate energy guzzling equipment or rooms you weren’t aware of, saving you money in the process.
- Default lighting settings – Dimmers, switches, and keypads let you lower the lights in your home as needed. But did you know you can program your normal lighting settings as well? Adjusting your default from 100 to 90 percent for all or most of your lights can save you a considerable amount of money each year. And you probably won’t even notice the difference in illumination.
- Standby for savings –Think of all the electronic devices you use each day. These devices use standby power even when they are turned off, and that wastes energy and money. But Control4’s energy saving systems and products allow you to fully turn off the power supply to electronics when not in use.
- Forgot something? No problem – And in case you forgot to turn something off while you’re away, simply use your smartphone or tablet to take care of it from wherever you are.
Small energy adjustments like these made multiple times a day may seem minor. But shaving even a few dollars per day from your utility bills adds up to big savings at the end of the year. And in the long term, with all the ways a smart home saves you money in the form of lower energy bills and decreased maintenance costs, it won’t take long for your Control4 system to pay for itself.